The America Gene, Michael Nesmith's second novel published in 2009, details his observation that "at a certain time, the America Gene wakes up in the life of all Americans, and starts to drive you to your own personal Las Vegas. And of course, by the time you're completely grown up, you're a moron."
The America Gene is once again available at Videoranch. You can pre-order your copy today and Videoranch will ship them out the second week of October. (Please allow some extra time if you are requesting Michael's signature.)
Michael posted the following on Facebook about the book:
"I got the printed book proof back from the printers of The America Gene. It was good to hold it in my hands. I sat in my reading chair and read the first three chapters.
I think the experience of reading a paper book is unique and I hope it doesn’t go away. It has been around so long it is almost impossible for me to imagine not reading a printed book. I have several Readers for E books now and I carry a large library of books with me on some device when I travel — and I like reading text on a screen well enough. I have nothing at all against it.
There is a lot to recommend the E book; being able to look up the definition of a word by touching the screen, and being able to carry dozens of books with you to have them just at hand.
I’m not sure what makes reading a printed book so different.
Maybe it’s the way I sit. I have a wonderful reading chair. Maybe it’s the way the book fits in my hands and the way it smells when it’s new. I’m not sure, but there is something pleasant and peaceful about it that is different from any other method of reading I know. Holding the book in my hands while I stare off in space as I think through an idea that the book advances is especially comforting to me.
I am a grazer. I read a little of many books at a time. I’ll read this and that in bits and pieces. It’s not a good way to study but I don’t study a book. I just make the effort to understand what is being said and not too much of an effort to remember it. I feel if I understand what I am reading I have gotten the best part of an idea. The understanding moves into my head and lives there without effort.
I’ll stumble on the idea from time to time and because I took the time to understand it I can see where it might fit in a new landscape of thought. I’m not good at remembering quotes and stacks of facts but I wander through many different worlds of ideas.
I was happy to see The America Gene print book and get a hands-on close look at it. I really enjoy this book. I’ve read it a couple of times just for the pleasure of it in much the same way I listen from time to time to records I have made.
This is the first time I have been able to read it as a printed book, and like I say, there is something different about print that I like, something that contributes to the experience of the book, and in the book, that expands it. A print book opens up differently for me than text on a screen; no pun intended (but still accepted).
You can order a print copy now over at www.videoranch.com. It’s up on the front page and will ship on the 7th of October.
It will be out later as an E book as well – by later I mean a few weeks. Then it will be available in all formats; each format with its own peculiar contribution to the experience of the story.
What a world."
"Thrilled to share Rhino's announcement on Tommy Boyce's birthday of this fantastic set. I am really proud of how this came together: a bunch of heretofore unissued tracks, a new essaay and a good selection of unpublished photos.
It gets tougher and tougher to deal with everyone's 'what's left?' questions. The answer in this case is some truly significant finds that only surfaced recently. My personal favorites are the TV mixes which were expertly transferred from the original film elements by Sony. They have full fades and no dialogue or effects over the top. Was as excited to hear these as I was when I was a kid first watching the show.
At my heart, I am a fan and I love doing projects for the fans. My presentations of the Monkees in print, on record and the live tours all come from that place. I am proud of my association with them and Rhino.
No one has to buy this - but if you have the other sets, I am positive you will enjoy it. I really enjoyed crafting this one just for you - and you know who you are..."
Andrew also commented on the source tapes for the Jones and Nesmith solo tracks that are appearing on the new box set:
Rhino announces pre-orders for "The Monkees" (Super Deluxe Edition); set will include Jones & Nesmith solo recordings
This afternoon, pre-orders were made available for The Monkees (Super Deluxe Edition). Announced via Monkees.com, the box set will be released on November 11, 2014.
BOX COVER IMAGE
Rhino Handmade takes you back to where The Monkees story all began with THE MONKEES (SUPER DELUXE EDITION)! Packed with a jumbo-sized 100 tracks (45 previously unreleased!) over 3 CDs, the first disc features the spectacular original album remastered in both mono and stereo, including the debut single, "Last Train to Clarksville," show favorite "(Theme From) The Monkees," and the raw romper "Tomorrow's Gonna Be Another Day," with 12 bonus tracks that feature unreleased versions, alternative tracks, and TV & radio spots.
Comprised entirely of previously unreleased tracks on the second disc, 'Sessions' features rare and unheard recordings - 31 in total. Some highlights include the master backing tracks for "Let's Dance On," "This Just Doesn't Seem To Be My Day," and "Tomorrow's Gonna Be Another Day." The disc also features several alternate versions of songs from the debut album, including an alternate vocal take by Michael Nesmith on "The Kind of Girl I Could Love," several versions of "I Wanna Be Free," rehearsal tracks, and much more!
The final disc takes us back to the beginning of Davy Jones' career, with his solo debut album recorded a year before the Monkees, DAVID JONES. Davy's classic pop album is presented in both mono and stereo, featuring "What Are We Going To Do?," "Baby It's Me," "It Ain't Me Babe," and more. The box set also features bonus single tracks by both Davy Jones and Michael Blessing (AKA Michael Nesmith). The disc is wrapped up with four demo tracks of The Monkees' "I Wanna Be Free."
Strictly limited to 4,000 individually numbered boxes, THE MONKEES (SUPER DELUXE EDITION) is another unique entry in the Monkees reissue series. Shipping in November 2014, this set is now available for pre-order exclusively at Monkees.com. This box is not available at any other retailer or online store and is certain to sell out, so reserve your copy today!
The Original Mono Album
1. (THEME FROM) THE MONKEES
2. SATURDAY’S CHILD
3. I WANNA BE FREE
4. TOMORROW’S GONNA BE ANOTHER DAY
5. PAPA GENE’S BLUES
6. TAKE A GIANT STEP
7. LAST TRAIN TO CLARKSVILLE
8. THIS JUST DOESN’T SEEM TO BE MY DAY
9. LET’S DANCE ON
10. I’LL BE TRUE TO YOU
11. SWEET YOUNG THING
12. GONNA BUY ME A DOG
The Original Stereo Album
13. (THEME FROM) THE MONKEES
14. SATURDAY’S CHILD
15. I WANNA BE FREE
16. TOMORROW’S GONNA BE ANOTHER DAY
17. PAPA GENE’S BLUES
18. TAKE A GIANT STEP
19. LAST TRAIN TO CLARKSVILLE
20. THIS JUST DOESN’T SEEM TO BE MY DAY
21. LET’S DANCE ON
22. I’LL BE TRUE TO YOU
23. SWEET YOUNG THING
24. GONNA BUY ME A DOG
25. (THEME FROM) THE MONKEES (SECOND VERSION)
26. YOU JUST MAY BE THE ONE (MONO TV VERSION) †
27. THIS JUST DOESN’T SEEM TO BE MY DAY (MONO TV VERSION) †
28. TAKE A GIANT STEP (MONO TV VERSION) †
29. ALL THE KING’S HORSES (MONO TV VERSION) †
30. I WANNA BE FREE (FAST VERSION – MONO TV MIX) †
31. THE KIND OF GIRL I COULD LOVE (ALTERNATE MONO MIX) †
32. MONKEES NBC PROMO SPOT †
33. SATURDAY’S CHILD (MONO TV VERSION) †
34. KELLOGG’S JINGLE
35. MONKEES RADIO SPOT
36. (THEME FROM) THE MONKEES (TV VERSION)
The Monkees - Sessions
1. I WANNA BE FREE (OVERDUBBED DEMO – TAKE 2) †
2. ALL THE KING’S HORSES (ALTERNATE VOCAL TAKE) †
3. THE KIND OF GIRL I COULD LOVE (ALTERNATE VOCAL TAKE) †
4. I DON’T THINK YOU KNOW ME (STEREO REMIX – MICKY’S VOCAL) †
5. (THEME FROM) THE MONKEES (VERSION ONE - MASTER BACKING TRACK) †
6. LET’S DANCE ON (MASTER BACKING TRACK) †
7. THIS JUST DOESN’T SEEM TO BE MY DAY (MASTER BACKING TRACK) †
8. GONNA BUY ME A DOG (VERSION ONE - BACKING TRACK TAKE FIVE) †
9. SO GOES LOVE (TAKE ONE) †
10. SO GOES LOVE (ALTERNATE VOCAL TAKE) †
11. PAPA GENE’S BLUES (BACKING TRACK - TAKE ONE) †
12. PAPA GENE’S BLUES (ALTERNATE VOCAL TAKE) †
13. I’LL BE TRUE TO YOU (STEREO REMIX) †
14. I WON’T BE THE SAME WITHOUT HER (BACKING TRACK - TAKE SIX) †
15. I WON’T BE THE SAME WITHOUT HER (STEREO REMIX) †
16. SWEET YOUNG THING (BACKING TRACK - TAKE ONE) †
17. SWEET YOUNG THING (STEREO REMIX) †
18. YOU JUST MAY BE THE ONE (REHEARSAL & BACKING TRACK – TAKE NINETEEN) †
19. YOU JUST MAY BE THE ONE (STEREO REMIX) †
20. I WANNA BE FREE (VERSION TWO - BACKING TRACK TAKE SIX) †
21. I WANNA BE FREE (VERSION THREE - BACKING TRACK TAKE THREE) †
22. I WANNA BE FREE (VERSION THREE – STEREO REMIX) †
23. JOKES (BACKING TRACK) †
24. TOMORROW’S GONNA BE ANOTHER DAY (MASTER BACKING TRACK) †
25. GONNA BUY ME A DOG (VERSION TWO – BACKING TRACK TAKE TWO) †
26. I CAN’T GET HER OFF OF MY MIND (VERSION ONE – STEREO REMIX) †
27. MARY, MARY (BACKING TRACK – TAKE ONE) †
28. OF YOU (BACKING TRACK – TAKE ONE) †
29. OF YOU (STEREO REMIX) †
30. (I PRITHEE) DO NOT ASK FOR LOVE (REHEARSAL) †
31. (I PRITHEE) DO NOT ASK FOR LOVE (STEREO REMIX OF DAVY’S VOCAL) †
David Jones - The Original Mono Album
1. WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO?
2. MAYBE IT’S BECAUSE I’M A LONDONER
3. PUT ME AMONGST THE GIRLS
4. ANY OLD IRON
5. THEME FOR A NEW LOVE
6. IT AIN’T ME BABE
7. FACE UP TO IT
8. DREAM WORLD
9. BABY IT’S ME
10. MY DAD
11. THIS BOUQUET
David Jones - The Singles
12. TAKE ME TO PARADISE
13. THE GIRL FROM CHELSEA
David Jones - The Original Stereo Album
14. WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO?
15. MAYBE IT’S BECAUSE I’M A LONDONER
16. PUT ME AMONGST THE GIRLS
17. ANY OLD IRON
18. THEME FOR A NEW LOVE
19. IT AIN’T ME BABE
20. FACE UP TO IT
21. BABY IT’S ME
22. MY DAD
23. THIS BOUQUET
Michael Blessing - The Singles
24. THE NEW RECRUIT
25. A JOURNEY WITH MICHAEL BLESSING
26. UNTIL IT’S TIME FOR YOU TO GO
27. WHAT SEEMS TO BE THE TROUBLE OFFICER
28. WHO DO YOU LOVE †
29. GET OUT OF MY LIFE WOMAN †
The Monkees – Demos
30. I WANNA BE FREE (REHEARSAL) †
31. I WANNA BE FREE (DEMO – TAKE TWELVE) †
32. I WANNA BE FREE (DEMO REMAKE – TAKE ONE) †
33. I WANNA BE FREE (DEMO REMAKE – TAKE FIVE) †
† Previously unissued recording
Monkees Farewell Tour
Dolenz sings Nesmith
Pre-Order Sandoval Book
Monkee Mania Radio on Live365